1) Pressure or tension exerted on a material object
2) A state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances
Stress is essential for health. However, too much stress, unhealthy stressors, and poor stress management can be harmful. Therefore, getting the right kind and right amount of stress are so important.
The Dose Makes the Poison (stressor)
Most stressors, even those considered to be harmful, can actually be beneficial in small doses (like financial stress building work ethic and character). On the other hand, healthy stressors, like exercise, in excessive amounts can become harmful. Therefore, stress is all about the dosing and finding the right balance.
- Exercise (strength training and cardiovascular exercise)
- Learning new things
- Life’s challenges (having kids, traveling, starting a new job, new experiences)
- Making new friends and meeting new people
- Chronic substance abuse or exposure to harmful substances
- Negative interpersonal relationships
- Financial stress
- Past or current trauma (mental, physical, and sexual)
- Negative thoughts
The ability to reduce stress is key. Without this skill, life will sink your ship. As unhealthy stressors can never be fully removed, and at smaller doses they can be beneficial, finding good stress reduction tactics is essential.
- Exercise regularly
- Meditate and pray
- Create things – drawing, painting, building, and sculpting offers outlets for both our creativity and emotions
- Talk about your problems
- Think positive and love yourself
- Spend time in nature and with the people you care about
Stress and Health
Over time, unhealthy and poorly managed stress will take a toll on health. The following health problems can be due to stress.
- Chronic fatigue/tiredness
- Hair loss, accelerated aging
- Mental health disorders like depression and anxiety
- Metabolic syndrome and diabetes
- Heart attacks and strokes
- And much more
Need Help with Stress?
Is your stress out of control or causing health problems? If the answer is yes, then is time to get help. Talking with trusted friends, family members, and loved ones is a good place to start. The stress reduction tips above can also be very useful. If you are ready for more formal interventions, Wonder Medicine would love to help. Consider scheduling a new patient consultation today.
Thanks for reading,
Bill Brandenburg, MD
Wonder Medicine’s Longevity and Performance Program improves your lifespan and healthspan with a research-driven proactive program that focuses on the big picture of your health so you can perform at your highest potential.